Tuesday, June 22, 2010

One Room School House

Last week I interviewed for a teaching job at a one-room school in a Rural Community near where I live. I felt really good about the interview and honestly, felt like I just nailed it. Do you ever leave leaving like that? Like you just conquered the world and nothing can stop you, well I felt like that post interview...it was great.
Then I think I set myself up a little too much, I think I was or maybe hoping I would hear from them the next day. Well the next day came and...went and NO phone call, I began doubting myself and thought maybe I had fooled myself and that I couldn't have possibly been as unstoppable as I felt post interview.
Then the next day came, it was Friday, I thought to myself if i don't hear from them today...it is doomed, I for sure didn't get the position. By this time I had absolutely convinced myself that if they haven't called within 2 days, I most assuredly didn't get the position.
It was now the weekend and I had almost completely forgotten about my hopes and how I felt post interview, like I nailed it and had the job for sure...I had convinced myself I would be getting a letter in the mail...you know the kind. "Thanks for your interest but..."
Well, Monday came and about 7:46am I got a call on my phone, I was outside and didn't hear it. But thankfully a message was left and so I waited about an hour before I called back because once again I had convinced myself that.....I wasn't going to get a letter, she had called to tell me in person that I didn't get the job and....over the phone I would hear ..."thanks for you interest...but".
HOWEVER, much to my surprise, she said the Board wanted to offer you a contract to be teacher at.....said Elementary School! I was ecstatic, unbelievably surprised and so grateful all at the same time.
Can you believe I had completely convinced myself that I was NOT going to get it...just because they didn't call me back for 5 days....like what was I thinking. (note the sarcasm in there).

I am excited and nervous beyond belief!!! I cannot believe that I actually got a teaching job and will begin in August as Mrs. Miller, teacher of a one-room school house.

If you have any suggestions or words of advice for a new teacher, teaching multiple grade levels, please pass them along! I would greatly appreciate them.

Signing off as the newly awarded.........
Mrs. Miller - Teacher of a ONE-room Schoolhouse!

No comments: